2.5.4 – Pareto Chart: Basic Procedures
How To – Insert a Pareto chart
1. Click the File menu, and point to New.
2. In the Zoom box, click 100%.
3. On the Insert menu, click SPC Chart. The Chart wizard opens.
4. Click Next. A list of SPC charts displays. Pareto Chart is already highlighted.
5. Click Finish. A spreadsheet opens where you enter the data to be charted.
How To – Label columns
Use the chart you created in Insert a Pareto chart.
1. Notice the tabs in the lower left corner. The Spreadsheet tab lets you view and modify the spreadsheet data. The Chart tab lets you view and modify the chart.
2. Double-click the column heading Label. The Column Header Text dialog box opens.
3. Type a label for the first column (e.g. Process Step), and click OK.
4. If the column is not wide enough to display the entire heading, point to the line between the two column headings. A horizontal double-headed arrow appears.
5. Drag the line to increase the width of the column until you can see the entire heading.
6. Type the label Idle Time (hours) for the other column.
How To – Format the chart
1. Click the Chart tab. The chart appears. No data is in the chart unless you are using the chart created in the previous section.
2. Click the right mouse button on the heading, Pareto Chart, and then click Format Title.
3. If needed, drag to highlight the text in the Text box, type Purchase Requisitions, and then click OK.
You can reposition the heading by left clicking on it and dragging it to the desired location on the chart.
4. Click the right mouse button on the y axis label, # of errors, and then click Format Title.
5. Drag to highlight the text in the Text box, type Idle Time (hours), and then click OK.
6. Click the right mouse button on the bottom line, the x axis, and then click Insert Titles.
7. Select Category (X) Axis, and then click OK.
8. Click the right mouse button on the x axis label, and then click Format Title.
9. Drag to highlight the text in the Text box, type Process Step, and then click OK.
10. Drag the chart toward the title to leave more room at the bottom for the process step labels.
11. Point to the bottom handle of the hatched area, and drag downward to increase the height of the chart.
How To – Add data
Use the chart you formatted in Format the chart.
1. On the View menu, click the Spreadsheet tab.
2. Click the first cell in the Process Step column.
3. Type the following information in the appropriate columns:
4. Click the Chart tab. The chart data appears on the chart.
You may also use the Data Import Wizard tool from the Tools menu to import an existing data file.
How To – Change the chart appearance
Use the chart you created in Step 2: Putting Data into the Spreadsheet.
1. Click the right mouse button on one of the red bars. The bars on the chart are called the series.
2. Click Format Series.
3. Click the Fill Color box, click blue, and then click OK. The bars change to blue.
4. Click the right mouse button to the side of the chart, and then click Format Chart.
Stay inside the hatched lines while working with the chart.
5. Click the Backdrop tab.
6. Click Gradient, click the To Color box, and click yellow.
7. Click OK.
8. Drag the legend to the lower right corner.
9. Click the right mouse button beside the chart, and then click View in 3D.
10. Click outside the hatched lines to place the final chart on the page. To make changes to the chart, right click and select Micrografx SPC Chart Object.
11. On the File menu, click Close. Click No when prompted to save the chart.
How To – Delete a chart
Use the chart you created in Add data.
1. Click the Selector tool on the Toolbar.
2. Click the SPC chart.
3. Press DELETE.
4. On the File menu, click Close. Click No when prompted to save the chart.