When you need to model the discharge process in an Emergency Room and to show the effects of an optional discharge lounge on bed capacity and ED throughput.
Where to Find the Model Object
The following model object can be found in the model objects directory:
- ED \ ED4_a Patient Discharge
This model object is a part of a 8 model object Emergency Department series that can be accessed under the category ED.
- ED1B Arrivals with Acuity Advanced
- ED2 Triage
- ED3_a Treatment with Fast Track
- ED3_b Treatment with Fast Track Using Common Lab
- ED4_a Patient Discharge
- ED5_a Room Cleaning
- ED6_a Patient Admit
- ED7_a Resource Optimizer
This model object should be used in conjunction with other ED model object (ED Arrivals with Acuity, ED Triage, ED Discharge, ED Room Cleaning, ED Staffing Calculator, etc. to take advantage of predefined stats collection, routing attributes and built-in resources.)
- Ease of Use: Easy
- Ease of Modification: Moderate
How to Use the Model Object
- Open Your Model: Open your model or create a new blank model.
- Insert the Model Object into Your Model
- Locate the model object ED4_a Patient Discharge and select the insert button.
- Move the cursor to the point of insertion and left mouse-click. The upper left corner of the model object will be inserted at the location of the mouse-click.In case you are combining ED models, move the cursor to the left of the black dot inserted with the last model object, then click.
- Connect to Your Model
- Create a percentage route between the start of your model and the black box arriving to this model object. In case you are combining ED models, use a percentage route to connect the black box (connected from the Yes route) from ED3_a Treatment with Fast Track or ED3_b Treatment with Fast Track Using Common Lab to the black box arriving in this model object.
- In case you are combining ED models, create a Get and Free route from Nurse resource to activity:
- Move Patient to Lounge
- Develop Discharge Plan
- Create Written Patient Plan
- Order Prescriptions
- Order Supplies and/or Equip
- Record Billing Codes
- Develop Follow-up Plan
- Educate Patient and Assess
- In case you are combining ED models, create a Get and Free route from MD resource to activity:
- Plan Approved
- Using a percentage route, connect the black box (connected from the “a_Dir1 = 1” route) to the rest of your model. In case you are combining ED models, use a percentage route to connect to the black box in the ED5_a Room Cleaning model object. This Model Object is best when used with other ED model objects Scenario Parameters
- Define Values: Change the scenario parameter values based on the Scenario Parameters information provided at the end.