When Will You Need This?
When you need to model the discharge process in an Emergency Room and to show the effects of an optional discharge lounge on bed capacity and ED throughput.
The following model object can be found in the model objects directory: ED \ ED4_a Patient Discharge.
Ease of Use: Easy
Ease of Modification: Moderate
This model object is a part of a 8 model object Emergency Department series that can be accessed under the category ED.
2. ED2 Triage
5. ED4_a Patient Discharge
This model object should be used in conjunction with other ED model object (ED Arrivals with Acuity, ED Triage, ED Discharge, ED Room Cleaning, ED Staffing Calculator, etc. to take advantage of predefined stats collection, routing attributes and built-in resources.)
How to Use the Model Object
1. Open Your Model
Open your model or create a new blank model.
2. Insert the Model Object into Your Model
1. Locate the model object ED4_a Patient Discharge and select the insert button.
2. Move the cursor to the point of insertion and left mouse-click. The upper left corner of the model object will be inserted at the location of the mouse-click.
In case you are combining ED models, move the cursor to the left of the black dot inserted with the last model object, then click.
3. Connect to Your Model
1. Create a percentage route between the start of your model and the black box arriving to this model object. In case you are combining ED models, use a percentage route to connect the black box (connected from the Yes route) from ED3_a Treatment with Fast Track or ED3_b Treatment with Fast Track Using Common Lab to the black box arriving in this model object.
2. In case you are combining ED models, create a Get and Free route from Nurse resource to activity:
1. Move Patient to Lounge
2. Develop Discharge Plan
3. Create Written Patient Plan
4. Order Prescriptions
5. Order Supplies and/or Equip
6. Record Billing Codes
7. Develop Followup Plan
8. Educate Patient and Assess
3. In case you are combining ED models, create a Get and Free route from MD resource to activity:
1. Plan Approved
4. Using a percentage route, connect the black box (connected from the “a_Dir1 = 1” route) to the rest of your model. In case you are combining ED models, use a percentage route to connect to the black box in the ED5_a Room Cleaning model object.
This Model Object is best when used with other ED model objects Scenario Parameters
4. Define Values
Change the scenario parameter values based on the Scenario Parameters information provided at the end.
The model object is now integrated into your model, you should now be able to save and then simulate the model.
You should now be ready to add ED5_a Room Cleaning model object.
Attributes, Variables, Scenario Parameters and Scenarios Usage
1. a_Dir1: Used in this many parts of the model. In this model object it is used to identify if a patient when to the lounge.
2. a_VATime: Used to transfer stats when entities are created at “Move Patient to Lounge” and “ED Discharge”.
3. a_Acuity: Used in Arrival MO and Triage MO a_Rand Used in Arrival MO.
4. a_Disposition: Used in several activities to identify what time will be used (m_TR, m_ER, m_FT a_CycleStart Used to transfer stats when entities are created at “Move Patient to Lounge” and “ED Discharge”.
5. a_WP1: Controls if a Written Plan is created for a patient.
6. a_OP1: Controls if Prescriptions need to be ordered for a patient a_OS1 Controls if Supplies or Equipment (i.e. oxygen, crutches, etc.) need to be ordered for a patient.
7. a_RB1: Controls billing is initiated for a patient.
8. a_FP1: Controls Followup Plan is initiated for a patient.
9. a_MD_Asmt_in: Used in the Treatment MO to capture the time the MD was first seen.
1. v_Discharge_Lounge_Open: Controls the status of the discharge lounge. Yes = open, No = Closed.
2. v_Doc_to_Discharge: Captures and reports time from the initial touch of the MD until discharge.
1. s_DL_Open_Time: The time in hours when the Discharge Lounge opens. If DL is open all day then set to zero. If closed all day set to 24.
2. s_DL_Close_Time: The time in hours when the Discharge Lounge closes. If DL is open all day then set to 24. If closed all day set to 24.