When you need to use a meter to show how full, by percentage, a selected activity, queue or storage is with respect to it’s total capacity. The meter provides a quick, dynamic visual representation during the simulation.
Where to Find the Model Object
The following model object can be found in the model objects directory:
- Visual Indicator \ Meter Showing Percent Full
- Ease of Use: Easy
- Ease of Modification: Easy
How to Use the Model Object
- Open Your Model: Open your model or create a new blank model.
- Insert the Model Object into Your Model
- Locate the model object Meter Showing Percent Full and select the insert button.
- Move the cursor to the point of insertion and left mouse-click. The upper left corner of the model object will be inserted at the location of the mouse-click.
- Update Objects: Move the model object so that is positioned over the location that you will be monitoring.
- Define Values
- Define the values for scenario parameters s_Activity_Name, enter the name of the activity, queue or storage that you want to monitor. If are monitoring an activity’s input or output queue, then enter the name of the activity followed by “_Inq” or “_Outq” in the Default Value field (Example: if the name of the activity was “Test” then you would write “Test_Inq” in the Default Value field to check the input queue).
- Define the values for scenario parameters s_Meter_Checking_Interval, enter the time that will elapse between adjustments to the monitor. The time is assumed to be minutes. Use larger numbers if the queue does not change often and smaller numbers if the queue changes more frequently.
- Completion: The model object is now integrated into your model, you should now be able to save and then simulate the model.
- v_Block_size: Do not change. Is a variable used to determine the number of graphics that will be used in representing the queue. Do not modify this variable.
- s_Activity_Name: User input required. The name of the activity, queue or storage that will be monitored
- s_Meter_Checking_Interval: User input required. The time interval (in minutes) for checking the activity, queue or storage and changing the display when appropriate.
How Do I Build This Model Object from Start?
How To Build This Model Object This “Meter” is a very simple object that consists of a single activity and 20 entity graphics. An entity enters the activity and uses a function called Contents( ) to find the current number of entities in the location which you are monitoring. If the contents of the location is at 1/20 the total capacity then the graphics is changed to the graphic representing 5%. When the contents of the location is at 2/20 the graphic representing 10% is displayed, etc.
All of the graphics are aligned so that they are hidden behind one another. A rectangular object is placed over the top of all the graphics and a smaller representative entity is placed on top. The representative graphic is used to show what the object will look like when running. The representative graphic is made smaller than the graphics used to display the level of the meter to account for any graphics shifting during runtime. Finally, all the objects that constitute the meter are grouped together to create one object that can be moved, copied and pasted.
Notes If you are using the monitor to display the contents of an input or output queue of an activity, remember to modify the name of the activity used in the scenario parameters dialog to include “_Inq” or “_Outq” respectively.
If the contents of a capacity to be measured are relatively low with respect to the total capacity, the visual indicator will not produce the desired results. You need to adjust the capacity to represent what would be considered “Full.”